Sunday, November 29, 2015

Gender discrimination in sports

Cierra Anthony Cierra.Anthony@wayne.edu September 15 2015 6pm 313-358-7057 Outsider Experience Gender discrimination in sports Women treatment in the sports industry ---DETROIT According to Faqs.org male athletes have been dominate on a global basis in almost every sporting activity.That theory did not apply to 23-year-old Wayne State University student Latasha Wright. Wright started playing football on an all male team when she was nine for the Police Athletics Activities League, and she says she was never put in the game as the starter. She was played until the end of the game and most times not at all “ I had to ride the bench until the last game and I really think that was gender discrimination,” says Wright. “ I knew that I was good enough I knew I could run fast and I knew that I can hit just as hard as the other guys, but I felt like my coach did not see my true potential, because I was a girl.” Wright says when she brought this issue to her mother’s attention, she demanded that Wright be put in the game and not put to the side because she was a girl. The coach told Wright that she could have a spot in the starting five if she could tackle her teammate in tryouts. Wright says when it was her turn to tackle her teammate she “pancaked him,” I had so much pinned up energy in me, because of all the times I felt like I wasn’t good enough, I wasn’t strong enough, and my coach teammates would try to make me feel bad, so I felt like I needed to prove them wrong. Wright says after she tackled her teammate she got the spot, and she got so much respect from her teammates and her coach and by the time she was 15 Wright says she was a football superstar and Wright says that she finally felt excepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment