Sunday, November 29, 2015

Student views on diversity

Name: Cierra Anthony :cierra_shanae90@yahoo.com Assignment Deadline: September 22, 2015 313-358-7056 Diverse and alike Diverse and Alike Student views on diversity and how he says it can be considered negative DETROIT- 24-year-old Wayne State University student talks about the negativity behind individuals categorizing themselves. Ali Joumaa says, when he walks into a room he does not see color, gender or culture, just people who are striving for what they want to achieve. “When I think about what makes me alike or diverse from someone, I think about how negative of a thought that even is,” says Joumaa. “Im Lebanese and although I don’t see many Lebanese people in my class I don’t feel different I don’t feel like an outsider.” Joumaa says that he can’t afford to have that kind of mentality as an aspiring journalist. “ In my journalism career I can not let myself single someone out because of their background says Joumaa “ I know that as a journalist I am going to come across so many different people with backgrounds and stories that it would be unfair to categorize them”. Joumaa says that he’d feel as if he’s being biased whenever he interacts with someone of another race or gender if he constantly thought about what makes him or her different. “ Some people think that society is set up to categorize people when its not, says Joumaa “we live in a country that salutes absolute freedom, the rest is simply making excuses for not being able to succeed. “ He says that a person’s gender, race or culture does not define them, but it’s their action that defines them. Joumaa says that he would never subject himself to something so negative and he will hope that the rest of society will eventually think the same way and maybe the world wouldn’t be so negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment